Sunday, November 13, 2005

Fucking Coldplay

Here is Jon Pareles demolishing them better than I can (I normally drunkenly whore about them being a bunch of fucking bedwetters who should Make Decent Music before they try to
Make Poverty History):


He places his melodies near the top of his range to sound more fragile, so the tunes straddle the break between his radiant tenor voice and his falsetto. As he hops between them - in what may be Coldplay's most annoying tic - he makes a sound somewhere between a yodel and a hiccup. And the lyrics can make me wish I didn't understand English. Coldplay's countless fans seem to take comfort when Mr. Martin sings lines like, "Is there anybody out there who / Is lost and hurt and lonely too," while a strummed acoustic guitar telegraphs his aching sincerity. Me, I hear a passive-aggressive blowhard, immoderately proud as he flaunts humility.

[...]

It's supposed to be compassionate, empathetic, magnanimous, inspirational. But when the music swells up once more with tremolo guitars and chiming keyboards, and Mr. Martin's voice breaks for the umpteenth time, it sounds like hokum to me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bleach The infamous strawberry said...

oh yeah.

6:47 PM  
Blogger schnappiclaz said...

aw ned.
first of all that was a great post and gave me ammunition other than "theyrebedwetters", second of all you gave me a banner!, third i am drunk.

1:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home